Sunday, October 21, 2007

I Just Remembered Why I Don't Watch Debates

So, I owe you part II of my musings on PR --- which I will get to soon --- but I just want to write something short.
I was watching the Republican debates tonight and I remembered the primary reason why I don't watch debates: Politicians never talk about their ideas. They string together words like "patriotism" and "family" and "American" and "ideas" and "future." So, you get to hear such wonderful promises like "I have ideas to help patriotic American families for the future!" Um...What are they? Honestly, you could hardly pull out any syllogisms from what they said. (i.e. Premise A + Premise B = Conclusion) I do have to say that I got a kick out of the Hillary-bashing. > ; ) Oh also, you could make a drinking game out of how many time the candidates said "Reagan"
By the way, this isn't limited to the Republican Party, it's something I see happening in politics in general. It's not recent either. I was watching the documentary Primary about the 1960 election, you can see the same thing. JFK and Hubert Humphrey are trying to win the Wisconsin primary. Hubert Humphrey throws out facts, ideas, plans. JFK just kind of rambles patriotically and looks good. Have you ever heard of Hubert Humphrey? I don't think so.
Vote on the candidates based on what they do, not on what they say. Check out Project Vote Smart
You can look up candidates' issue positions, as well as their NPAT -- National Political Awareness Test. The most recent NPATs should be out soon.
Lastly, thank you for everyone who commented on my last post. And thank you for everyone who has been reading. I love to have other people's contributions, so please, feel free to leave me comments or submit entries to early-birdie@hotmail.com I'll publish anything, provided it's relevant. Thanks again

No comments: